Monday, June 30, 2014

2001: a Space Odyssey

I live in New York now. Also if you have a cheap apartment available let me know.

I'm working on comics mostly, but I've just made an editorial poster for 2001: a Space Odyssey. I was testing out whether or not I would do a series of all of Kubrick's movies on weekends and stuff. I will. There is so much to learn from his movies. There is also a ton of conceptual and thematic substance to his work. Kubrick makes it so easy for viewers to connect with his movies in individual and specific ways, so I feel like I should have no problem making some worthwhile art based off his films.

2001 seemed like a good starting point because it is such a classic. Familiar symbols etc... I decided to focus on the the mysterious nature of human development the film presents. Here are a couple sketches I started with.



I went with the first one because it felt truer to the atmosphere of the movie. Here it is inked.


And the final.




No comments:

Post a Comment