Monday, June 17, 2013

Gladiators!


So this is the first image I'll put up. Why not. It's part of a personal investigation of masculinity in media I've been working about. It involves gladiators. Here's how I made it.


First I thumbnailed some ideas and settled on this. Next. I drew it. You know, like with a pencil, on a paper. I try to work large, this was probably 18x12.



Scanned that, printed the pencils in cyan on some bristol. Inked right over that print out then removed the cyan in photoshop.


Next I added flat color. I knew it was going to get really dark and red in certain places, so I faded the orangey shadowed areas into a neutral grey. Then I used these flats with some extra color and textures I  created to make the final image. Thanks for reading, and check back every Monday if you want to see more.




No comments:

Post a Comment