Monday, July 8, 2013

Sheets


Last week Lauren proposed we each work on an album that the other would not normally listen to. She assigned me Electra Heart by Marina and the Diamonds which I had definitely never listened to. This one took a lot of sketching; it's about the protagonist of the album dealing with the archetypes for female pop stars and I spent a while figuring out what was interesting about the music through drawing. To me a lot of it ends up being about the creation of a pop mythology through sexualization. There is a happy insistance on casual sex to construct the pop facade. At a certain point it became clear to me there needed to be a heart shape, because as a symbol it is important to both the meesage of the album and the image of the creator.

I don't mean to try to explain the image. Especially in the context of the music, I think it stands pretty well on its own. But the thought process took most of the time on this one, and I wanted to give some sense of why I ended up focusing on what I did.

As far as making the thing, I've been using photoshop a lot on projects like this one, which can be really fun. Pretty much a key drawing that I scan and color. For the sake of variety I might show you something I used more traditional media on next week. Who knows, also maybe not.






4 comments:

  1. Sick image! Love it, and the colors, and the butt grab in the middle right lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks. And yeah, you know, sometimes you have to draw butt grab. Not always, but sometimes.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete